Monday, August 17, 2026

Wish You Were Here! A Beachy Postcard from Historic New Castle



I have yet to make it to the beach this summer, so this postcard from my recent Postcrossing meetup in Historic New Castle, Delaware, was a reminder of summer.

I usually visit Ocean City, Maryland, but I also enjoy exploring the adjacent Delaware beaches. I love walking along the beach at sunrise, watching wildlife wake up as the sun rises. I have never found a message in a bottle, but that is always the dream!

I went back to Historic New Castle, Delaware, for another Postcrossing meetup at the library. I really wish more libraries hosted postcard clubs. It is wonderful to gather around a table with others who enjoy postcards, sharing cards, talking, and writing a few to send out into the world.

I loved this colorful beach scene postcard. At first glance, it looks like a classic day at the beach, but the longer you look, the more fun details you discover.

There is a sandcastle with a mailbox, an appropriate feature for a Postcrossing meetup postcard! A happy little crab is delivering the mail, while a purple octopus sails by in what looks like a tiny boat. There is even a little fin sticking out of the water.

The message on the postcard says, “Wish you were here!” This reminds me that I need to take a long weekend at the beach.

Of course, if you're visiting the Maryland or Delaware beaches, you'll see plenty of seagulls. They may look cute, but don't let them fool you. They are expert snack hunters! Protect your food if you don't want to become part of their lunch plans.

This was another fun meetup in Historic New Castle, and I'm always happy when a postcard gathering gives me an excuse to explore a new place. New Castle has a wonderful historic district, small museums, and other attractions to explore, so it's easy to combine a Postcrossing meetup with a little sightseeing.

And, of course, I left with postcards!

The artwork on this beach postcard is by Rosa C. Lopez, who creates colorful, whimsical designs perfect for Postcrossers. You can find more of her work in her Etsy shop.

Artist: Rosa C. Lopez

Etsy: rosaclopez.etsy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

50 Years of Postcards: Capitol-Beltway Postcard Club

  What do you get when you combine postcards, a scavenger hunt, a room full of postcards, and people who love sending mail? You have a great...