Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Long Live Pluto!



One thing I love about Postcrossing is never knowing how someone will answer a question.

On my Postcrossing profile, I include a few questions for people who want a prompt for what to write on their postcards. One of my questions is: Should Pluto be a planet?

The responses have been all over the universe.

Many Postcrossers who grew up learning that Pluto was a planet think it should keep its planetary status. I understand the feeling. I spent my childhood memorizing the planets, Pluto was always there at the end of the list. It is hard to accept that the rules have changed.

Occasionally, though, someone comes up with a creative response. I've had people send me postcards featuring Pluto the Disney dog. And then there are responses like this one.

This postcard was mailed from Germany, and the sender painted it. It features Jupiter and Pluto orbiting together against a beautiful purple-and-blue space background.

I love the way Jupiter is smiling at Pluto, almost as if he's welcoming a younger member of the planetary family. And look at Pluto, he's wearing a crown!

I think that little crown says quite a lot about how the artist feels about Pluto's planetary status.

So, how do you think the sender answered my question?

Should Pluto be a planet?

I'll let the artwork speak for itself.

This is one of my favorite things about Postcrossing: you can ask a simple question and end up receiving someone's original artwork from Germany. You never know what surprise you will find when you open your mailbox.

No comments:

Post a Comment

50 Years of Postcards: Capitol-Beltway Postcard Club

  What do you get when you combine postcards, a scavenger hunt, a room full of postcards, and people who love sending mail? You have a great...