Wednesday, May 13, 2026

Postcards and Friendship in Delaware

 As a longtime postcard collector and Postcrosser, I know how much a postcard can brighten someone’s day. I recently attended a wonderful Postcrossing meetup at the New Castle Public Library in New Castle, Delaware, and it was such a heartwarming experience.

The library hosts a postcard social group twice each month, where people can learn about postcard collecting, Postcrossing, pen pals, and creative mail. The group was welcoming, and the library even provides postcards for beginners so newcomers can join in right away.

What stood out most was that the meetup was really about connection. Participants wrote cards to friends, family, and even strangers who needed encouragement. One attendee asked the group to send cheerful postcards to someone who was homebound, reminding us all how meaningful handwritten mail can be.

Because this was also an official Postcrossing meetup, a special meetup postcard was created featuring bright sunflowers to celebrate the release of the new United States Postal Service sunflower stamp.

If you are interested in attending, the next meetup is planned for July 11, 2026. Check the New Castle Public Library event page for more information.

Have you ever attended a Postcrossing meetup or postcard social? I’d love to hear about your experiences in the comments.



3 comments:

  1. Lila, it was great to have the meet-up and social as one group. I agree that the connection to one another and to those receiving the postcards is what makes this special. Would you mind if I shared this on the New Castle Public Library Facebook page?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. You can share my comments.

      Delete
    2. You can share blog link as well.

      Delete

50 Years of Postcards: Capitol-Beltway Postcard Club

  What do you get when you combine postcards, a scavenger hunt, a room full of postcards, and people who love sending mail? You have a great...