Tuesday, June 30, 2026

What are the odds?


What are the odds?
Last year I met one of the hosts at the American Philatelic Society (APS) Postcrossing meetup. This year, when I drew a random Postcrossing address, it turned out to be hers! After mailing her postcard, I packed my backpack for Bellefonte, Pennsylvania, hoping we'd meet again at this year's SCOPEX meetup, and we did. Along the way, I also met fellow Postcrossers from Maryland, Pennsylvania, and Ohio.

This year's meetup postcard featured a family of ducks inspired by the feathered residents of nearby Spring Creek, which flows beside APS headquarters. The historic town of Bellefonte, whose name means "beautiful spring," is known for its natural springs, making the duck theme especially fitting. The meetup was held in the beautifully restored Pennsylvania Match Factory, home of the APS, and it wasn't hard to see where the postcard's inspiration came from.

One of the things that makes this meetup so special is its location. Gathering at APS headquarters gives visitors the opportunity to experience an organization dedicated to stamp collecting. The headquarters includes a small exhibit area, library, and gift shop, and because many members donate philatelic material, there is always a wonderful selection of postal-themed items for sale.

Of course, I couldn't leave empty-handed! I picked up mint postage stamps for my Postcrossing mailings, along with several USPS postcards featuring stamps. This year's additions included postcards highlighting lighthouses, Disney characters, and trains, perfect for future Postcrossing exchanges.

Another highlight of meeting at APS is its on-site USPS Contract Postal Unit. Everyone had the opportunity to mail their postcards right there and have them canceled with the APS postmark, creating a special souvenir from the day.

One of my favorite APS traditions is Laurie's Mailbox. Postcrossers from around the world send postcards to Laurie's Mailbox, and if you include your return address, APS will send a postcard back to you. It's a fun way to connect with fellow collectors, and your postcard might even be featured on APS social media or in one of their newsletters.

Laurie's Mailbox
c/o American Philatelic Society
100 Match Factory Place
Bellefonte, PA 16823

Every meetup reminds me why I love the Postcrossing community. Whether it's reconnecting with friends I've met through the mail, discovering postcards and stamps, or simply spending the day with people who share a love of them, the trip to Bellefonte is always worthwhile. I'm already looking forward to next year's meetup!

No comments:

Post a Comment

50 Years of Postcards: Capitol-Beltway Postcard Club

  What do you get when you combine postcards, a scavenger hunt, a room full of postcards, and people who love sending mail? You have a great...