Wednesday, July 15, 2026

Havre de Grace Postcrossing Meetup Postcard



I’m excited to share the postcard for our Havre de Grace, Maryland Postcrossing Meetup!

When I first started kicking around ideas, I thought I’d feature a bald eagle again. But since my previous meetup postcard already featured an eagle, I wanted this design to showcase a Maryland icon. That led me to the Baltimore Oriole, Maryland’s state bird.

I’ve never had the chance to see a Baltimore Oriole in the wild, but I’m hoping that changes soon. With Havre de Grace located near the head of the Chesapeake Bay and surrounded by wonderful natural areas, it’s one of the places where these birds can be spotted. Maybe this meetup will bring birdwatching luck! Until then, I’ll enjoy the goldfinches that regularly visit my flower garden.

To give the postcard a postal feel, I added a commemorative stamp. At its center is a blue crab, Maryland’s state crustacean. It’s a fun nod to the Chesapeake Bay. Including it may have had one unintended consequence: now I’m craving steamed Maryland blue crabs covered in Old Bay seasoning!

I hope you’ll join us on Saturday, August 1, at the Chesapeake Postcard Show at the Havre de Grace Community Center. Whether you’re a longtime Postcrosser or just starting out, we’d love to meet you. Stop by, sign some postcards, make new friends, and help us celebrate the joy of sending happy mail.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful Postcard! I really love it! I used to see Baltimore Orioles at my old place of work for about two weeks in the spring and fall while the were migrating. They would hang out in the bushes next to my office. I loved seeing them. It's been well over 6 years since I last saw them in the wild as I don't work at that job anymore. I hope you get to see one in the wild some day. See you on Saturday! Looking forward to the meetup!
    Hugs, Diana aka cure_kitty

    ReplyDelete

50 Years of Postcards: Capitol-Beltway Postcard Club

  What do you get when you combine postcards, a scavenger hunt, a room full of postcards, and people who love sending mail? You have a great...